What is Papaya?
Papaya is a fruit that originated in the tropics. It is now grown in many parts of the world, including India. Papaya is a good source of vitamins and minerals, and it has anti-inflammatory properties. It is easy to include papaya in your daily diet.
Papaya is also referred to as ‘paw paw’.
Papaya is now becoming popular amongst people who are new to Indian foodstuffs, because it can be included in their daily diets very easily. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Mumbai produces approximately 300 metric tonnes of papayas each year, most of which are sold on roadsides by vendors with carts or stands. Some cut up the fruit into small pieces, dilute it with water, sugar, salt and lemon juice then sell it as a juice.
Some of the benefits of papaya include:
- Papaya is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, Vitamin A, potassium, and magnesium.
- Papaya has anti-inflammatory properties, i.e it reduces inflammation in the body.
- Papaya can help to improve digestion and absorption of food.
- Papaya is a natural laxative, which can help to relieve constipation.
What makes a Papaya Organic?
Organic papaya is papaya that has been grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers. Non-organic papaya is papaya that has been grown with the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
There are several benefits of eating organic papaya:
- Organic papaya is free from harmful chemicals and toxins.
- Organic papaya is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Organic papaya is rich in nutrients, including vitamins and minerals.
- Organic papaya is often times sweeter than non-organic papaya.
Diving, deeper into why Papaya is good for you. The fruit is loaded with nutritional value, as it’s rich in vitamins and minerals. List of vitamins and minerals that can be found in Papaya are listed below;
- Vitamin A helps to promote healthy eyesight and skin. Vitamin A also helps the body to fight off infections.
- Vitamin C helps to strengthen the immune system. It also acts as an antioxidant within the body, helping to remove toxins that may cause damage to cells.
- Potassium helps to regulate blood pressure. It also helps the muscles, kidneys, and other organs in the body function correctly by transmitting electrical impulses throughout the nervous system.
- Magnesium plays a role in muscle contraction and relaxation; energy production; nerve impulse transmission; maintaining normal heart rhythms; activating B vitamins; producing nucleic acids RNA & DNA; building protein structures and more.
Papayas have high nutritional value and they are a good source of vitamins and minerals. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and can improve digestion in your body. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it beneficial for people with inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. We recommend eating organic papaya whenever possible though, because you will get more benefits from this healthy fruit that way! 🙂
You can buy Papaya locally in Mumbai at The Farmers’ Store. Ofcourse, we only stock 100% Papaya, directly through verified and pre-vetted farmers. To shop online for same day delivery, visit www.thefarmersstore.in or download the app on both IOS and Android.