Almond flour is almond meal which has been ground to a fine or coarse texture depending on the need. It can be further processed into almond butter by adding oil and other ingredients. It contains high amounts of protein, fibre, vitamin E and low carbohydrate content.
Almonds are first blanched to remove their skins, then they are ground into almond flour. You can make almond flour at home using almond mill or food processor but it might not deliver desired results as you would get from the store-bought almond flour.
What is almond flour used for?
Almond flours are usually used in baked items like cookies, cakes and breads to add flavor and texture. It is also widely used as a thickening agent in soups or stews. Sometimes it can be mixed with other flour also to make gluten free dishes.
How many almond flours are there available?
There are 2 types of almond flours available which are almond meal and blanched almond flour. Blanched almond flour has been ground from whole almonds without the skin while almond meal comes from skins removed almonds after they have been ground into smaller chunks before being sold commercially at stores like Big Apple Mart . For recipes that call for almond flakes almond meal is a better choice as almond flakes have a coarser texture.
Where can almond flour be used?
Almond flour can be used in place of other flours to make gluten free recipes like almond cakes, muffins and breads. It can also be used as a thickener for soups or stews where you would usually use all-purpose wheat flour.
How much almond flour should one eat per day?
You don’t need to consume more than 1/2 cup almond products per day if they are plain or roasted almonds but if they are made from ground almonds then a small amount is enough to give the body what it needs every day without overloading on calories and carbohydrates that come with almond flour.
Where can I buy Almond Flour in Mumbai?
At The Farmers’ Store, we stock almond flour that you can get delivered to you the same day if you live in Mumbai, or in 3-5 days across India. They are stocked in all our locations and also available online through our app for same day delivery. At our store, you may not find multiple brands of items, as we believe in only stocking the best quality and most honest, undulated, wholesome version of Almond Flour in the country.
Almond Flour Vegan Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes so that the almond flour can absorb some of the moisture.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly grease with oil.
- Scoop the batter by 1/4 cup into the skillet, then flatten with a spatula.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancake, then flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate and keep warm in a 300 degree F oven while you continue cooking additional batches.